Women and Our Families
As a husband to a working wife and the father of three young girls, Will is committed to the fight for all women and girls across Maryland. Two out of every three women today are the sole or equal breadwinner in their families, yet they still do not have access to equal pay for equal work or paid time off to take care of a sick child or family member. Will believes in women earning equal pay for equal work. And he believes that pay equity is not just a matter of fairness; achieving equal pay for women would increase wages for thousands of households and bring thousands of families out of poverty. Our families and our needs have changed but the workplace has not. Women’s advancement is not just about fairness; it’s about improving Maryland and the Nation’s economic stability and competitiveness.
- Raise the Minimum Wage.
- Provide Paid Sick Leave and Paid Family Leave.
- Address the Gender Pay Gap and Pay Equity.
- Protect Reproductive Health and Reproductive Choice.
- Make Child Care more Affordable and Accessible.
- Increase support for Elder and Companion Care.
Gun Violence and Sensible Gun Reform
When Will was 12 years old his best friend’s life was cut short by a stray bullet. During that same year, Will received a scholarship to a private high school in Washington, D.C. You could not have told Will that he and his friend were any different and it was at this moment in Will’s life that he decided to dedicate his life to public service and reducing gun violence.
- Strengthen and expand background checks.
- Close dangerous gun show loopholes and crack down on gun traffickers .
- Keep guns out of the hands of terrorists, domestic abusers, and other violent criminals.
- Reduce the NRA’s power in Washington.
- Ban military style assault weapons and high capacity magazines.
As the father of three young daughters and a background in education policy, Will is passionate about ensuring students receive a world-class education to prepare them for college, life, and the workforce. He understands that in order for America to compete in the twenty-first century global economy, every child needs the tools and opportunity to excel in the classroom.
He began his career advising members of Congress on education issues and has worked at the White House and Department of Education on educational initiatives. In Congress, Will is committed to strengthening our schools, expanding early childhood education, addressing inequality in educational opportunities, and ensuring that quality higher education is accessible to all.
- Expand support for high quality early childhood education.
- Push for High Standards and a Well-Rounded Curriculum.
- Reform High Stakes Testing.
- Support for Teachers and Leaders.
- Increase Wraparound Supports.
- College for All.
- Ensure Higher Education is Affordable and Accessible.
- Reduce and Eliminate the Burden of Student Loan Debt.
Creating Jobs and Growing the Economy
Will understands how difficult it can be for families to make ends meet growing up his mother worked multiple jobs to help provide for her family. Will supports robust and responsible economic development strategies for Maryland and the nation. He understands that we need to grow our economy and understands that a progressive economy is one that encourages high-wage, high-quality jobs by creating an environment to attract companies to locate here and hire our residents. He knows that, our economic development policies must support small, women and minority-owned businesses so they succeed and grow and create an entrepreneurial environment that supports local economies. In Congress, he will fight for solutions that will create jobs and spur economic growth for all.
- Raise the Minimum Wage.
- Increase Economic Development Funding.
- Support Small and Minority Businesses.
- Invest in Rebuilding our Infrastructure and the Green Economy.
- Expand Career and Technical Education (CTE).
- Reform the Tax Code.
- Expand Access to High Speed Internet.
A Healthy Environment
Maryland, like much of our country, is blessed with abundant natural resources – resources that we must carefully steward and protect from threats of pollution and climate change. He is an advocate for protecting our environment and the incredible natural resources in our region, as he understands that our environment impacts both our personal and economic well-being. We must protect our vulnerable communities and ensure that Maryland businesses are transparent and socially responsible. We have a responsibility to be good custodians of our resources so they will continue to be a benefit for generations to come.
- Take Action to Address Climate Disruption.
- Boost Renewable Energy and invest in Green Jobs.
- Protect and Restore the Chesapeake Bay.
- Support increased Public Transportation options and Smart Growth.
- Make Pollution Data Available and Accessible.
- Require Environmental Justice Review for Heavily Impacted Communities.
- Increased Investment in Conservation Programs and Renewable Energy.
Health Care and Protecting Social Security and Medicare
Will believes access to quality, affordable health care is a basic right, and he is committed to continuing the fight to secure quality, affordable health care for every American. The Affordable Care Act, was a huge step in the right direction to secure quality, affordable health care, for small business and the economy and we are a healthier, stronger country because of it. But the work is not complete. He will work to fix and improve our health care laws to continue to lower costs, reduce the burdens on small business and ensure care is available for every family.
Will is also committed to protecting the social compact and promise to our seniors. He will fight to oppose any cuts to Social Security and Medicare and work to make the promise of these programs available for generations yet unborn.
- Protect and Expand Access to Affordable Health Care.
- Promote Awareness and Availability of Coverage.
- Reduce Low Income and Minority Health Disparities.
- Preserve and Protect Social Security and Medicare.
Access to affordable health care is a human right, and that includes access to affordable prescription drugs. Will is committed to taking on the drug companies to make sure we:
- Allow the federal government to negotiate prices with drug companies so patients have the best possible prices for prescription medications they need.
- Restore critical savings for low-income seniors and people with disabilities by closing the Medicare Part D “donut hole”.
- Require drug companies to publicly report any and all information when they drastically increase drug prices.
Fighting for the People
Americans of all backgrounds understand that their voices are being drowned out in our current political climate. And many people will agree that the Citizen’s United decision was one of the worst decisions in the history of the Supreme Court. In Congress, Will, will continue to be a leader to make sure that the voices of everyday Marylanders are heard, that we reduce the influence of money in politics, fight for campaign finance reform that increases transparency, and we make sure that elected officials are accountable to the people.
- Constitutional Amendment to Overturn Citizens United.
- Campaign Finance Reform and Public Financing of Elections.
We have made true progress in the way of LGBT equality, but we still have work to do to ensure full protection under the law. As a civil rights attorney, Will is committed to protecting the rights of the LGBT community and believes that we must pass the Equality Act to prohibit discrimination based on sexual orientation and gender identity.
- Fight for full federal equality for LGBT Americans.
- Work to pass the comprehensive non-discrimination bill introduced in the House and Senate.
- Honor the military service of LGBT people.
- Protect transgender rights.
- Use the bully pull-pit to speak out about trans-phobia.
- Secure affordable treatment for people living with HIV and AIDS.
- Work on issues around bullying and harassment for LGBTQ youth.
- Promote human rights of LGBT people around the world,
Fixing our Criminal Justice System
The current state of the criminal justice system has been a moral, legal, social and economic disaster. As your Representative in Congress, I am committed to making the criminal justice system more fair, equitable and just so that we can live out the true meaning of those four sacred words- “And Justice For All.” We need legislation that shifts our focus toward restorative justice by reforming mandatory minimums for low level offenders. Further, we need to support initiatives that strengthen families and provides pathways to success for our youth, particularly for people of color.
- Reform mandatory minimum sentences for low-level nonviolent offenses.
- Encourage the use of police body cameras to rebuild trust in our communities.
- Engage and support family members in the reform process.
- Ensure that those who pay their debt to society receive a second chance by expunging criminal records.